Sith Assassin Costume

Back in 2018 Matt and I went to the park for a picnic with our kids. While we were there, we ran into a group of people playing with lightsabers. Curious, I went and talked with them and long story short we ended up joining the Wasatch Saber Club. It’s a group that gets together to do flash mob styled lightsaber battles! Last year we were both Jedi. This year for our lightsaber battle Matt turned to the dark side. (Don’t worry the light side prevailed). That meant I needed to make Matt a Sith costume. 

I browsed Pinterest for all sorts of ideas not sure what I wanted to do. Then I went through my pattern collection and stumbled upon this pattern. https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7646 

I thought it would be really cool to make a Sith assassin so that’s what I did. If anyone else is interested in making one I thought I’d share how I did it. I made a few slight changes to the pattern so it would work for our purposes. I specifically didn’t make a shirt to go under since it was easier for Matt to just wear a black shirt under the tunic. He also wore black pants underneath. I did not make gauntlets either, but I think it turned out well. 

The Tunic: *Modification* I did not add a zipper as the directions called for. Instead I used a black stretch fabric to make it easy to take on and off. 

First: I cut the fabric pieces out. 

Next: I sewed the front and back pieces together using my serger. 

Then: I sewed the shoulders and sides together making it one piece. 

Last: I hemmed the neck, arm holes and bottom. 

The Hood and Caplet: This was the hardest piece to figure out! Mostly the caplet part. After talking with people who also made costumes using this pattern though I finally figured it out. 

First: I cut out the pieces for the caplet. 

Then:  I sewed together the bottom layer of the caplet (see pattern for more details). 

Next: I stay stitched the leather pieces for the top layer caplet. 

Then: I stitched the leather pieces onto the top layer caplet.

Then: I sewed together the top layer caplet pieces. 

Next: I worked on the hood. I first cut the pieces out.

Then: I sewed the top piece onto the main hood pieces. 

Then: I sewed the entire hood together starting from the back. 

Then: At this point I decided to hem all of the pieces I had completed. After that I sewed together the top and bottom caplet pieces and the hood piece. 

Finally: I also hemmed the neck part before sewing it onto the hood/caplet piece. I added buttonholes and buttons to finish it off. 

The Belt:*Modifications* I did not use trim, but hemmed everything instead. I did not add a fabric piece in between both leather belt pieces (see pattern for more details). Matt also decided to use a regular black belt to actually hold the belt up, so I did not add any ties to the belt to keep it tied around the waist. 

First: I cut out all of the pieces. I also hemmed them before attaching the pieces together. 

Next: I sewed on the flap pieces to the first main belt. 

Then: I staystitched the top layer belt to the belt piece with the flaps and was done. 

Add some boots and here is the completed product!

Please follow and like us:
Facebook
Pinterest
Twitter
Instagram

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *